Welcome About Our Practice Family Law Real Estate Wills and Estates Legal Fees Meet Our Lawyers Getting Here Contact Us
Deeble Family Mediation

Family Law

Family Law Links


First Appointment Checklist:

  • Your Income Tax Returns (T-1), 3 most recent years
  • Your Notices of Assessment, 3 most recent years

These may be ordered by calling Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281. Please call immediately as it takes 2 weeks minimum to receive these documents and the court process cannot be started without them You must get Income Tax Returns AND Notices of Assessment.

  • Proof of ownership of a business (if any)
  • Corporate financial statements (if applicable) 3 most recent years
  • Original marriage certificate (or make a request to obtain your original marriage certificate)

If you were married in Ontario, this can be obtained online at http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca

  • Copy of your current pay stubs
  • A provisional household budget representing your current situation
  • Deed and Mortgage documents for any real property
  • A copy of any bank statements confirming the bank accounts (savings, chequing, credit cards, RRSPs etc.) you held in your own name or jointly, on the date of marriage
  • A copy of any bank statements confirming the bank accounts (savings, chequing, credit cards, RRSPs etc.) you held in your own name of jointly, on the date of separation
  • A copy of any powers of attorney for property or for personal care
  • A copy of any existing Last Will & Testament
  • A copy of any current Court Orders or Minutes of Settlement
  • A copy of any existing Cohabitation Agreement, Marriage Contract, or Separation Agreement signed by you
  • A copy of vehicle ownership(s)/registration
  • Note your vehicle’s mileage at date of separation (for valuation purposes)

If you have access, a printed copy of your vehicle’s valuation (e.g., Black Book). CAA members have access to Black Book values.

  • Proof of Inheritance, if any (conditions apply)
  • A list of major assets
  • A list of major liabilities
  • A copy of any private life insurance/medical insurance policies
  • Proof of benefits available through your employer
  • Most recent pension statement
  • A statement of accumulated vacation leave


Lawyers practising law in Ontario are governed and guided by the Bylaws and Rules of Professional Conduct established by the Law Society of Upper Canada (Law Society). In an effort to prevent identity theft and fraud, the Law Society requires that lawyers confirm the identity of clients.

All lawyers must request and retain the following information about all clients:

  • The individual's full name
  • Home address and telephone number
  • Occupation
  • Business address and telephone number, if applicable.
  • Photocopy of two (2) original pieces of identification, one of which must be government-issued photo ID

In order to protect your personal privacy, OHIP cards cannot be used for identification purposes under provincial law.*

Likewise, Social Insurance Number cards should not be used for identification purposes, because this is not an authorized purpose of the SIN card.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • Driver's Licence
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Credit Card
  • Other similar record

Please ensure that you have access to these forms of identification in order for us to make photocopies for your file. We appreciate your cooperation.

* subsection 34 (4) of the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act , 2004.

Continue to Part 1.3 - Frequently Asked Questions - Separation
Back to Family Law

© Deeble & Persaud Law